Monday, 22 June 2009

More miniature crafts

Some more fun pieces...the basket is wire interwoven with waxed linen thread then painted with acrylic paint with added gloss medium. The straw bits are actually hay from the local field and the eggs are made with flesh coloured Fimo.
The hats are crochet and the hat stands made with cocktail sticks and wooden beads sawn in half..this was the most difficult as the wood was so hard. I put a cocktail stick through the hole and supported it in Blu-tak to give me something to grip. I glued on a card base to cover the rough wood and some linen thread to cover the join. Gold acrylic paint to finish.
The market stall is large BBQ sticks sawn to length. The joints are glued and wound with waxed thread. The table is two lengths of flat beading from the DIY shop, cut in half and distressed to make 4 planks, glued to the support and then painted with burnt umber acrylic. The canopy is from a small piece of patchwork fabric cut and sewn to fit.

Wednesday, 17 June 2009

Green spectacles Finished

I feel this one is just about finished I could do some more work on the hair and beard
but I don't want to put too much fine detail to detract from the face itself.

Tuesday, 16 June 2009

Green spectacles WIP4

I am pleased with the way the shadow above the ear has worked to make the hair fall away from the head. He is looking very stern, almost aggressive, I wonder if I should soften him up a bit.

Monday, 15 June 2009

Green spectacles WIP3

I am really liking the way the light is reflecting through the glasses. The moustache was great to do, just hope I can do the hair and beard justice.

Sunday, 14 June 2009

Green spectacles WIP2

I'm pleased with the progress so far, my reference photo didn't give much detail in the eyes so I have had to use some imagination but feel it has worked.

Saturday, 13 June 2009

Green spectacles

Back to coloured pencils today with a painting of a man I saw in Vienna with bushy hair and beard. This is the first time I have used Clairefontaine Pastelmat and I really like it for portraiture. The surface is soft like very fine suede, it covers quickly and blends well. You can put light over dark to an extent and it takes umpteen layers. I have used Prismacolor for the first layers and Polychromos on top to glaze where the colour wasn't right. I have also used Polychromos for the hard edges. Highlights were added on top of the base colour with a heavy application of Prismacolor white.

Craft Miniatures

Well here is a the collection so far. Very fiddly to do but very rewarding. I need a bit more practice with the boxes but then I guess they look more realistic on the wonk! The wood is called Bass Wood from Hobbycraft, quite expensive but you only need little bits. The boxes measure 4.5x3 cm. The clay dried over night and I sanded, scraped and carved to tidy them up. The painting needed some experimentation. I found the best result was to mix watercolour paints with water and a little white gouache to make it opaque and some gum arabic to give it a subtle shine. (I think gouache paints would be preferable to watercolour but I only have white and black.) When dry I popped them in a box lid and jiggled them about whilst spraying with a satin varnish to seal. The basket for the bread and hot cross buns was an afterthought. I bought some rough garden string from the cheap shop, the local florist gave me some raffia for a donation in her charity box. I split the raffia and used a tapestry needle to sow the string in a coil shape to make the base and sides. The handle is made with 3 strands of string and raffia blanket stitch.

Thursday, 11 June 2009

Silhouettes & miniatures

My first attempt at silhouettes in miniature. I have added the pencil sharpener for scale. My hand is not very steady and haven't got the viscosity of the paint consistent yet. These are painted with black gouache on Polymin............and because I can't paint in poor light I wanted something to occupy me in the evening that doesn't take up much room and is a bit of fun to do. Fungi, French & cottage loaf and some earthy potatoes. Das self hardening clay, watercolour and spray varnish to seal.

Wednesday, 10 June 2009

Stourhead NT, Wiltshire

The art and craft fayre was not a total wash out in both senses. The heavy showers meant that there were fewer people through the doors. I didn't sell any pictures but did manage to part with a few cards which nearly covered the cost of the stand. My sister, Rona, did much better with her Wool 'n' Wood creations and she is going to the October fayre too. My great neice, Gracie, gave me a helping hand with the watercolour pencils and some rather expensive paper. Between her and my grandson Callum they managed to get through quite a few sheets...ah well they enjoyed it and I and many others enjoyed watching them so they were a bit of a crowd puller.

I have entered 4 pictures into the UKCPS annual exhibition to be held at the RBSA in the Autumn. It will be August before I know if any of them have been accepted.

After the rush of events the past few weeks I have had a couple of days break from art but now I'm on to something new...trying to do some miniatures...I think I might regret it.

Friday, 5 June 2009

Stourhead NT, Wiltshire

I will be exhibiting some of my paintings at Stourhead this weekend if anyone looking in wants to come along please introduce yourself. I am sharing the stall with my sister's wool and wood creations, you can't miss them they are so cute.

Monday, 1 June 2009

UKCPS Members Exhibition

Each year the UK Coloured Pencil Society holds a members exhibition at Cumberland Pencil Museum in Keswick. Each member can enter one picture and selected works are exhibited at the museum during June. This year I have been awarded the Reserve Best in Show for my picture 'Neigh-bours'. Coloured pencil on sanded paper.

Piers Finished

I have decided to call this one 'End of the Pier'