This week I had a new delivery of Pastelmat in various colours and unfortunately the surface of the sheet of Anthracite is a bit suspect. It wasn't until after I cut it that I realised there was a distinct line across it, some strange shading on the reverse and the surface seemed much coarser than the other colours. Anyway having cut it and still in an experimental mode I decided to give it a try. I'm not totally happy with the owl probably because birds are not really my subject, and I may still do some more tweaking. The size is 25x25cm and I used various makes of pencil from the softest to the very hardest and even used some heat from an iron on the reverse to melt the wax in the lightest areas. This caused some cockling so I then had to glue it to a piece of mount board. I have been more impressionistic with the feathers than I would normally do but maybe it will grow on me.