Saturday, 27 February 2010


I used the Derwent WC pencils for an underpainting and Polychromos on the top, in some places I have used heavy layering and others I left the washes. The paper is Fabriano Classico.

Friday, 26 February 2010

Derwent Watercolour Pencils

Yummy, my new pencils have just arrived!!!

The Window

Experimenting with Atelier Interactive Acrylics and a limited palette. This is a small canvas and the first time I have used these paints. I don't like them quite as much as oils but they are better than the standard acrylics because they don't dry so fast. This is the view through the bedroom window of The Treaty House in New Zealand with the wonderful tree ferns catching the light.

Wednesday, 17 February 2010


This is Henry a commission I completed a few weeks ago. Size A4 in coloured pencil on Fabriano Classico 5 with a watercolour pencil underwash.

Sunday, 14 February 2010

Dutchman WIP

This was an excercise with the new Derwent watercolour pencils (the ones with the dark blue barrel). I only have a small selection but I really like them and hope to get the complete set. I applied several layers of pencil blended with a damp water-brush, added more layers and dampened again until I achieved the depth of colour. There is no dry pencil on top. The paper is a beige Stonehenge. I now have to decide what to do with the background.

Sunday, 7 February 2010

A touch of Oils

Well at last I am back to the drawing board, with Christmas, grey days and DIY projects my enthusiasm for art dried up completely. However I have been doing some craft work so I guess I have still been testing my artistic abilities.

I enrolled in a 10 week art workshop with Nick Andrew to try and get some inspiration and to try my hand at oil painting. Well the first time I seemed to get paint everywhere, I was trying to be loose and free, not my usual style and flowers are not really my favourite subject but after 3 hours this is the result.

Next day at home my second attempt was an imagined landscape. Again not my prefered subject and I 'don't do green' so I have used muted mauves for this. Again it was 3 hours and I did manage to contain the paint better this time.

Day 3 and 4 (6 hours) I thought I would have a go at a portrait, a picture of a child I took in Florida 8 years ago. I have had several attempts to do this picture in CP without success and although this is definitely not loose and free I am pleased with the results so far. I may still do some tweaking.