Sunday, 30 January 2011

Crabbing WIP1

I started this one just after Christmas but since finishing the spaniel I haven't felt like painting on these endless grey days and have been out making the most of the sunshine when it has appeared.  I am also taking a CP techniques workshop in Ilminster for 11 people so that has required some planning and also doing the promotion for the 3 Coloured Pencil Experience workshops in Somerset, Devon and Dorset.

Today with the sun shining in my tiny studio I felt inspired to get this one moving again. Size is 54x40cm on mountboard.  I have used pastel for the sky and underpainting of the sea with coloured pencil for the detail.  Both will still need some work towards the end.  Today I have spent about 4 hours on the wooden jetty  The horizon looks a bit wonky in the photo but in reality its OK.   There is a lot of shadow in the evening light but I am still hoping to achieve some subtle detail.  There are 3 figures crabbing on the right that I haven't drawn in yet, hence the title.  I wasn't sure I liked the mountboard but I've got used to it as I have been working, I think it is a good support for this detailed subject.

No comments: